Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT)
SLT (Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty) is a safe and simple in-office laser treatment that effectively reduces eye pressure for most patients with glaucoma. The SLT mechanism of effect does not rely on medicines, instead, it uses an advanced laser system to target only specific cells of the eye—those containing melanin, a natural pigment. This allows for only these cells to be affected, leaving surrounding tissue intact. As a result, your body’s own healing response helps lower the pressure in your eye.
Benefits of SLT
- Safe: SLT is not associated with systemic side effects or the compliance and cost issues of medications.
- Selective: SLT utilizes selective photothermolysis to target only specific cells, leaving the surrounding tissue intact.
- Smart: SLT stimulates the body's natural mechanisms to enhance outflow of the fluid in your eye.
- Sensible: SLT therapy is reimbursed by Medicare and many other insurance providers, which minimizes your out-of-pocket expenses.
- SLT is usually performed in the physician's office and only takes a few minutes. Prior to the procedure, eye drops will be given to prepare the eye for treatment. The laser applications are applied through a regular physician microscope (slit lamp), similar to the one used for eye examinations.
- Your eye pressure may drop as quickly as in a day after having SLT performed. The doctor may treat the eye with anti-inflammatory eye drops that will be continued for a few days after the procedure. Patients have no limitations after their procedure and are able to drive home. Patients will be scheduled for a follow up appointment to allow the physician to evaluate the results.
- SLT is a very effective treatment and can be used in many different types and stages of glaucoma. Ask your physician for SLT by name.
SLT Therapy is a treatment option for most patients. Due to the nondestructive nature of SLT Therapy unlike traditional laser therapy, SLT can be used for the following conditions:
- Primary Open Angle Glaucoma
- Ocular Hyper Tension
- Normal Tension Glaucoma
- Juvenile Glaucoma
- Aphakic Glaucoma
- Pigmentary Glaucoma
SLT Therapy is a treatment option for most glaucoma patients. As well most patients prefer to be treated with SLT-Therapy as a first treatment choice when first diagnosed with glaucoma.
Eye Surgeons of CNY Accepts Most Medical Insurance
Our friendly, knowledgeable staff is ready to answer any questions you have regarding your eyes, and will help to schedule an appropriate appointment.